Thursday, August 15, 2013

My favorite desserts since October 2012

Since I did not sample today, I started thinking about my favorite desserts during the past 10 months, when I started my dessert journal.  Probably my two best have been chocolate.  One was a "volcano" cake served at a lunch in the wine country of Chile.  It was wonderfully moist, and the chocolate center was dark, rich, and luscious.  The other was a chocolate lava cake at a beer pub in Sarasota, Florida called Shakespeare's tavern.  It was in the shape of a small bundt cake, and warm, topped with whipped cream.  The filling was mouth watering.  I liked this dessert so much that I returned to Shakespeare's tavern a week later and had the same thing.
My sister is a chocolate addict, and I asked her whether her dessert fave would have to be chocolate.  She said that it absolutely would.  I must say, however, that two very close runners-up for my most yummy treat were non chocolate.  The first was a creamy homemade peanut butter pie from a restaurant called Yoder's in Sarasota.  This is an Amish eatery, and the specialize in pies.  The peanut butter was just sweet enough, with a taste of salt from the peanut flavor.  The crust was flaky and buttery.  I loved this pie, and will get it again when I return to Sarasota.  The other was a homemade coconut cake from the Early Girl Eatery in Asheville.  This cake was the best coconut that I have had since my grandmother made it every Easter.  The cake was buttery, moist;  the frosting was silky and filled with fresh coconut.  The serving was huge as well, and I managed to make two desserts from it.  So, I continue my dessert journey, not totally convinced that the best desserts have to be chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment